TUITION FEE WAIVER SEHEME & SEATS IN ENGINEERING COLLEGES
Higher technical education getting costly day by day, the Govt. has come up with very good tuition fee waiver scheme under which a student can get free education as tuition fee for the entire course is waived. But due to lack of awareness this is not being utilized. Students whose parental income is less than Rs. 2.5 lac per annum, are eligible to apply for admission to fee waiver seats. Strategy is simple. If you are willing to move one step down the ranking, you are sure to get the seat under the scheme and save Rs. 2/3 lac.
List of colleges
- 1. a
- 2. b
- 3. c
So as per your rank, if you are going to get admission say in college "a" which is ranked no.1 in the state but you are willing to move to college "b" which is no.2 in the rank, your chances of getting seat under the fee waiver scheme increase manifold and you can save lacs.
Even, with a bit of luck, one can get the fee waiver seat in the same college also.
AICTE TUTION FEE WAIVER GUIDELINES FOR ENGG. COLLEGES
Scheme on Tuition Fee Waiver scheme for Women, Economically Backward and Physically Handicapped Meritorious Students
The AICTE has been empowered under Section 10(e) of AICTE Act to formulate schemes for promoting technical education for women, handicapped and weaker sections of the society. In compliance with these provisions under the AICTE Act, it has been decided to introduce Tuition Fee Waiver scheme for women, economically backward and physically handicapped meritorious students in technical institutions.
The proposed scheme shall be applicable to the Students of all AICTE approved technical Institutions offering;
a) Bachelors programmes in Engineering, Pharmacy, HMCT, Architecture and Applied Arts and Crafts.
b) Diploma Programmes of three years duration in all disciplines.
The Scheme is proposed initially for Under-graduate and Diploma Programmes. The scheme will be voluntary in nature.
The scheme is proposed to provide Tuition Fee Waiver to women, economically backward and physically handicapped meritorious students pursuing degree/diploma level technical education covering degree programmes in Engineering & Technology, HMCT, Pharmacy, Architecture, Applied Arts and Crafts and Diploma Programmes in the above disciplines.
III Amount of waiver:
The Waiver is limited to the tuition fee as approved by the State Level Fee Committee for self-financing institutions and by the Government for the Govt. and Govt. Aided Institutions. All other Fee except tuition fees have to be paid by the beneficiary.
IV Method of implementation:
Under the Scheme, the Competent Authority for admissions shall be the same as for regular admissions. And Institutions shall provide tuition fee waiver up to 10 percent of its sanctioned intake of students. Typically for every 60 sanctioned intake in a branch/discipline of study, tuition fee waiver shall be given to two woman candidates, three economically weaker students (Annual income of Parents/Guardians less than Rs. 2.50 lakhs from all sources) and one physically handicapped students based on merit. In the event of non-availability of students in a specific category as above, the benefit will be given to any other candidate of other categories according to merit. An award letter is this respect shall be issued by the respective Institution with the approval of the Competent Authority for admissions.
The Institution in turn shall be allowed to admit 10% of its sanctioned intake or the number of actual tuition fee waiver granted by the Institution, whichever is lower, as an additional intake in the same discipline/branch of study.
Incase of Government/Govt. aided Institutions this additional intake may be on self-financing basis, if they so desire.
- The AICTE approved technical institutions shall inform the number of the tuition fee waivers, branch wise to the admission authorities of the concerned state and give an undertaking that the institution will not charge tuition fee for the duration of the course form the beneficiaries.
- The State Govts. Affiliating Universities of the concerned state shall allow equal number of seats over and above the present sanctioned strength subject to maximum of 10% of the approved intake in the same branch in lieu of the Tuition Fee Waivers. Private Institutions shall be allowed to admit students to the tune of the number of Tuition Fee waivers actually awarded from the same merit list as intake over and above the present sanctioned strength. Similarly the Government Institutions may fill up these additional seats on merit basis and if desired on self-financing basis with the approval of the State Government.
- The Institution shall admit students against these seats as per the procedure followed for admitting the regular seats at Institution level by the State admission authority. The list of students admitted in this category shall be displayed in the Notice Board of the Institution and its web site along with the list of students given tuition fee waiver.
- The State Govts. shall include the names of the institutions who have volunteered to avail the scheme with details of tuition fee waivers available in each institution branch wise in the admission brochure and publish the same for the benefit of the students.
- The Institutions have to publish in their brochure and website the number of tuition fee waivers available in each category (Woman, economically weaker and physically handicapped) of students in each discipline.
- The Competent Authority for admission shall have to display Tuition Fee Waiver status against each Institution, branch wise, to the candidates during the counseling, during admission and at the end of admission process so that the students can freely exercise their informed choice.
- The information on availability of tuition fee waiver scheme shall be provided to the candidates, institution wise and discipline wise through Information brochure, Counseling brochure and website etc. The selection of candidates for tuition fee waiver shall be decided during the Counseling based on merit from amongst the eligible candidates. An eligible candidate shall have an option to exercise his/her choice of Institutions and discipline of study during Counseling for availing benefits of the scheme.
- The Institutions shall provide the following information to the AICTE, concerned State Govt. and affiliating University:
a. Particulars of each beneficiary including name and rank of the students who have been granted tuition fee waiver in each discipline/branch of study, and b. details of the students admitted against the additional seats including name and rank etc., according to merit prescribed for regular admission.
The Institutions shall also display such information in their websites for information to the students and other stakeholders.
The tuition fee waiver to a student shall be for the duration of the course i.e. four years for Bachelor courses in Engineering & Technology, Pharmacy, HMCT and Applied Arts and Crafts, and three years for Diploma students and five years for B. Arch course. Once a student is given Tuition Fee Waiver, the same shall be continued for the normal course duration.
(Dr. K. Narayana Rao)
Punjab State Guidelines for tution fee waiver seats in PTU colleges
DEPARTMENT OF TECHNICAL EDUCATION & INDUSTRIAL TRAINING
(TECHNICAL EDUCATION BRANCH-II)
NOTIFICATION No.13/60/08-1TE2/3795 Dated : 26.08.2008
As per Memorandum of Understanding signed between Department of Technical Education & Industrial Training, Punjab (Government of Punjab), Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar and Punjab Un-aided Technical Institutions Association and on the basis of AICTE guidelines dated 09.04.2007 regarding fee waiver scheme for women, economically backward and physically handicapped meritorious students, the Governor of Punjab is pleased to accord sanction of 10% additional Seats in all the Degree/Diploma in Engineering and Technology, HMCT, Pharmacy, Architecture courses.
The following shall be the guidelines for admission on these supernumerary seats:-
1. That these seats shall be over and above the intake approved by the AICTE.
2. That this scheme will be compulsorily followed by all Government, Government Promoted, Private Aided and Private un- aided Institutions from the session 2008-09 onwards.
3. That only Residents of Punjab (In terms of Punjab Government Department of Personnel & Administrative Reforms (PP II Branch) letter No. 1/3/95-3PP II/9619 dated 6th June 1996) will be eligible for admission under this scheme.
4. That the admission will be carried out as per the AICTE policy guidelines by a committee headed by Deputy Commissioner of the respective district under which the Institution falls and Chairman of the Managing Committee of the Institution.
5. That these 10% additional Seats shall be given to the following categories in the ratio mentioned against each:
A) Women Candidates 33%
B) Economically Weaker 50%
(Annual income of parent/guardian less than Rs. 2.5 lakh from all sources)
C) Physically Handicapped 17%
(For every group of 60 sanctioned intake, 06 additional seats will be given, which will be allocated in the ratio of
2:3:1 for the above categories. In the event of non availability of students in a specific category as above, the benefit will be given to any other candidate of other categories according to merit).
6. That the fee for these students shall be completely waived off including Tuition fee, Institutional charges, Transportation and University funds where the income of the candidate is less than Rs. 2.5 lakh per annum and in all other cases only tuition fee will be waived as prescribed in the AICTE policy. Further, the students admitted under this scheme will also be provided free boarding & lodging subject to availability or provision of funding from Government/Individual or NGO.
7. That the amount of fee and other charges thus waived off will not be claimed by any institution from the Government or any other authority in any context.
8. That the Institutions will have to publish in their brochure and website the number of fee waivers available in each category (Woman, economically weaker and physically handicapped) of students in each discipline.
9. That the Institutions shall have to display Fee Waiver status branch wise, to the candidates during the counseling, during admission and at the end of admission process so that the students can freely exercise their choice.
10. The Institutions shall provide the following information to the AICTE, concerned State Govt. and affiliating University:
1. Particulars of each beneficiary including name and rank of the students who have been granted fee waiver, etc. in each discipline/branch of study, and
2. Details of the students admitted against the additional seats including name and rank etc., according to merit prescribed for regular admission.
11. The monitoring of this scheme will be done by the Directorate of Technical Education & Industrial Training, Punjab, Chandigarh.
The Institutions shall also display such information in their websites for information to the students and other stake holders.
Tejinder Kaur, IAS
Dated Chandigarh Principal Secretary to Govt. of Punjab
the 26-08-2008 Deptt. of Technical Education & Indl. Training.
Similar schemes are available in all states.
As per the survey & data collected by our team, the students who are eligible & certain to get the fee waiver, are opting for the normal seats and losing lacs. But with slight alertness, you will be doing a favor to yourself and your parents.